- Camargue / France
- 5 days – 4 nights – 7 shoots
When you think of the Camargue, you picture Wild White Horses running free, imperious black bulls thundering through the marsh and Pink Flamingos flying in V-formation. By popular demand, we’ve combined the three so you get the best of all Camargue wildlife.
Photographing the Wild White Horses is a dream come true for most people. It’s an exceptional experience with or without the camera to see this world-renowned and noble breed splashing through the shallow waters of the marshland with the Gardians (Camargue Cowboys) on horseback.
The famous Black Bulls are also a big part of life in the Camargue and we offer a unique opportunity of capturing the bulls thundering through the marshy shallow water with their horns held high.
Our extraordinary Flamingos & birdlife photography is run by our talented specialist BBC Wildlife birdlife photographer. The Camargue is surrounded by the largest cultivated reed-bed in Western Europe, offering an unbelievably wide range of habitats, each with its characteristic flora and fauna and migrating birds. A top pick for Wildlife and Equine photography.
Key facts at a glance:
Create Away is the only photography workshop company actually based in the Camargue, making us the number one specialists
- We have built up strong relationships with the locals who highly respect the local traditions, wildlife and their treasured land
- Exclusive access to private ranch land, inaccessible to the public
- 2 galloping horse shoots with several ‘drives’ per shoot
- 1 shoot with the Stallions fighting
- 1 shoot of the Black Bulls running through the marsh
- 1 shoot of a beautiful single white stallion on the beach, in the sea & rearing on the dunes
- 2 shoots of Flamingos and birdlife, with access to a natural ornithological park before it opens to the public, offering exclusive photography opportunities
- Tuition from a highly successful, professional photographer whose international career spans over 3 decades, as well as our professional specialist bird photographer
- B&B at a charming hotel in a picturesque Mediaeval walled city
- Airport transfers (Montpellier – on arrivals & departures days of the workshop) & all transportation included
|What’s included in the price:||What’s excluded:|
*airport transfers are guaranteed on workshops days only
We will collect you from Montpellier airport for transfer to your charming hotel in the centre of the medieval town of Aigues-Mortes. Take time to unwind, unpack and perhaps explore the streets of the city that lies within the mile-long rampart walls.
We will gather for a welcome drink and briefing meeting early evening.
Informal group dinner at local bistro (optional).
In the morning, we head to the beach for the first shoot with a single white Stallion. We photograph him dashing and diving in and around the sea and surf, as well as rearing on the top of the sand dunes, making for a wide range of dramatic action shots.
In the afternoon, we capture the Camargue Black bulls thundering through the marshy shallow water with horns held high, herded by the Gardians on horseback – a unique photographic experience.
We leave before dawn to spend the day at the Parc Ornithologique, which is a natural Camargue wetlands area. Our specialist BBC Wildlife photographer, Thierry, is regular here and is expert on where to be and at what time to get the birds at their very best.
Thierry is the only person authorised to access the park before sunrise and before it opens to the public so you can capture wonderful, exclusive images as the birds fly in to begin their day.
You can capture a wide variety of shots – Camargue birds on their own and up close, Flamingos congregating in pairs or in a group and you can even create a landscape image with the birds in the water together at dawn. You can also take some stunning sunset shots as the birds take flight in V-formation at the end of the day.
At dawn we photograph the Wild White horses running through the marsh. We shoot several drives with the horses running across and towards your field of view. We will also take shots of the ‘Gardians’ (Camargue Cowboys) dressed in their traditional Camargue shirts & hats, trident in hand, surrounded by the herd as well as some close-up portraits of the ‘weathered’ ranchers.
Late afternoon we have another session with the horses running together through the shallow waters of the marsh. After the action, we then take portraits of the horses on their own or in small groups, silhouetted against the sunset.
In the evening group closing dinner at typical Camargue restaurant (optional/depending on the time of year)
At dawn, we photograph the sparring stallions – this is a unique opportunity to see the White horses entwined at full height, in feisty temperament with their manes flying.
Free time for lunch before departures to the airport.
Single occupant (en-suite): £2232 per person
2 people sharing room: 5% off the workshop price
Discounts available for group bookings. Please enquire to find out more
A deposit of 25% is payable at the time of booking
* To join our workshops, you need to have a good understanding of how your own camera works (how to set it up in Manual, Aperture and Shutter priority) and understand about exposure.
Pre-workshop course (subject to availability)
If you would like to arrive a day early to benefit from a course on your camera, settings, techniques and how to obtain the best out of your workshop, please let us know. We consider the pre-course very worthwhile for intermediate-level photographers and essential for beginners or photographers with new equipment they are not familiar with. Cost including hotel £370 pp.
What is included in the price:
- 4 nights B&B in 3-star Hotel (4-star hotel with price available on request) in Medieval Aigues-Mortes
- Airport transfers to and from Montpellier airport/station on arrivals/departures days of the workshop (other transfers are not included but can be arranged by us)
- All transportation during your workshop
- Guidance throughout by expert professional photographers
Before you book your flights, you might like to consider arriving a day or two earlier or staying a day or two after the workshop to make the most of the beautiful region and sunshine – we also offer an amazing horse riding experience and can recommend other excursions & activities – just ask Ros for further details.
Bookings & Payment:
Payment by bank transfer (please request our banking details) or by PayPal online
Why not treat someone with one of our Gift Vouchers? – available for full or partial workshop prices