- Camargue / France
- 7 days – 6 nights – 12 shoots
Designed for passionate photographers – amateurs and professionals alike – this workshop covers all aspects of Camargue photography. It encompasses several shoots of the famous Wild White Horses with varying compositions in different locations, the imposing Black Camargue Bulls thundering their way through the shallows of the marsh, iconic Pink Flamingos as they take flight in V-formation as well as a vast array of birdlife, Classic Portraits and beautiful Landscape views. This workshop appeals to Wildlife and Equine photographers, but also opens the door to those wanting to learn more about all aspects of outdoor photography.
Key facts at a glance:
Create Away is the only photography workshop company actually based in the Camargue, making us the number one specialists. We have strong and long established links with the local people who deeply respect the traditions and wildlife of their treasured land
- Exclusive access throughout the workshop to private domain, inaccessible to the public
- 2 galloping horse shoots in the marsh with several ‘drives’ per shoot, in 2 different locations
- 1 shoot with the sparring Stallions
- 1 single white Stallion shoot on the beach/in the sea
- 1 single black Stallion shoot on the beach/in the sea
- 1 galloping horse shoot on the beach/in the sea
- 1 Bulls shoot – running through the marsh
- 2 Landscapes shoots
- 1 Classical Portraits shoot
- 2 shoots of birdlife photography with a professional BBC Wildlife specialist bird photographer who has access to a natural ornithological park before it opens to the public, offering exclusive photography opportunities
- Tuition from a highly successful, professional photographer whose international career spans over 3 decades
- B&B at a charming hotel in a picturesque Mediaeval walled city
- Airport transfers to and from Montpellier airport – arrivals day between 09h00 and mid-afternoon/departures day between 09h00 and 19h00 (other transfers are not included but can be arranged by us)
We will collect you from Montpellier airport for transfer to your charming hotel in the centre of the medieval town of Aigues-Mortes. Take time to unwind, unpack and perhaps explore the streets of the city that lies within the mile-long rampart walls.
We will gather for a welcome drink and briefing meeting.
Informal dinner at local bistro (optional).
At dawn, we photograph an old mediaeval lighthouse and quaint fishing Port – capture atmospheric shots of the harbour with old fishing boats and trawlers reflecting in the water and nets draped out to dry in the sun.
After breakfast, we spend the morning shooting portraits of the Gardians (Camargue Cowboys) with their ‘weathered’ faces – they are perfect subjects for stunning black and white classic portrait photography. Serge demonstrates how to obtain a classic portrait, along with some great tips for working with subjects who may not be comfortable in front of the lens. You will learn about composition, lighting techniques using daylight and portable flash, lens choice and how to deal with the elements around you.
In the afternoon, we shoot typical Camargue landscape views – the sun setting on the lagoons, golden reeds, fishermen’s boats reflecting in the water, pink flamingos and other birdlife.
Birdlife with specialist bird photographer, Thierry Vezon
We spend a day at the Parc Ornithologique, which is a natural Camargue wetlands area of great importance. Accompanied by Thierry Vezon, BBC Wildlife bird specialist and expert in his field, we will have exclusive pre-dawn access to the park long before it is opened to the public enabling you to photograph the birds exclusively in the early morning light. Thierry will guide you to the prime locations among the waterways and lakes to capture a wide variety of species in one of the largest arrays of birdlife in Europe, from single birds perched at the nest to large flocks of pink Flamingos.
Black Stallion and Black Bulls
At dawn, we head to the beach to photograph a black stallion running along the white sand and in and out of the sea – the black against the white of the beach and sea makes for a dramatic combination.
In the afternoon, we photograph the Camargue Black bulls in action thundering their way through the marshy shallow water, their horns held high, herded by the Gardians on horseback for a unique photographic experience.
White Horses of the Camargue/Single stallion
In the morning, we head to the beach for a shoot with a single white Stallion. We photograph him dashing and diving in and around the sea and surf, as well as rearing on the top of the sand dunes, making for a wide range of dramatic action shots.
In the afternoon, we photograph the Wild White horses running through the marsh. We shoot several drives with the horses running across and towards your field of view. We will also take shots of the ‘Gardians’ (Camargue Cowboys) dressed in their traditional Camargue shirts & hats, trident in hand, surrounded by the herd as well as some close up portraits of these perfectly ‘weathered’ ranchers.
White Horses of the Camargue marsh & beach
At dawn, we photograph the horses splashing through the shallow waters of a marsh in a new location and with a different composition. We will also capture the ‘Gardians’ at work herding the wild horses.
Late afternoon, we get to capture the ultimate Camargue scene of the Wild White horses running through the surf along the beach with sea spray flying. After the action, we then take single shots of the horses on their own with or without the ‘Gardians’ as the sun sets.
In the evening group closing dinner at typical Camargue restaurant with Flamenco music (optional/depending on the time of year).
At dawn, we photograph the sparring stallions– this is a unique opportunity to see the White horses entwined at full height, in feisty temperament with their manes flying!
Free time for lunch before afternoon departures to the airport.
Single occupant (en-suite): £2997 per person
2 people sharing room: 5% off the workshop price
Discounts available for group bookings. Please enquire to find out more
A deposit of 25% is payable at the time of booking
* To join our workshops, you need to have a good understanding of how your own camera works (how to set it up in Manual, Aperture and Shutter priority) and understand about exposure.
Pre-workshop course (subject to availability) If you would like to arrive a day early to benefit from a course on your camera, settings, techniques and how to obtain the best out of your workshop, please let us know. We consider the pre-course very worthwhile for intermediate-level photographers and essential for beginners or photographers with new equipment they are not familiar with. Cost including hotel £370 pp.
What is included in the price:
- 6 nights B&B in charming 3-star Hotel (4-star hotel with price available on request) in Mediaeval Aigues-Mortes
- Airport transfers to and from Montpellier airport/station on arrivals/departures days of the workshop (other transfers are not included but can be arranged by us)
- All transportation during your course
- Guidance throughout by expert professional photographers
Before you book your flights, you might like to consider arriving a day or two earlier or staying a day or two after the workshop to make the most of the beautiful region and sunshine – we also offer an amazing horse riding experience and can recommend other excursions & activities – just ask Ros for further details.
Bookings & Payment:
Payment by bank transfer (please request our banking details) or by PayPal online
Why not treat someone with one of our Gift Vouchers? – available for full or partial workshop prices